Monday, March 11, 2013

Waiting for Mercy - Review

Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, # 2)

By: Shannon Dermott

Published: April 17th 2012 by Wicked Truth Publishing (first published 2012)

448 pages

Source: Borrowed from my SNL, Holly @ Words Fueled by Love

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--What do you do when you’ve been to hell and back, literally? For Mercy, it meant the beginning of the end for everything. Love, Happiness, Life.

When the people important to her are thrown into danger and she is forced to choose who to save, what will Mercy do? When the demon within her has its own agenda, going to new lengths to fulfill it, how will she cope? And when a new nemesis arrives, with a sole focus to take what belongs to her, how will she survive?

Some situations make you stronger, some make you weak. She used to run from confrontation but the need to uncover secrets will harden her resolve to make new choices.

In the end, someone else will suffer the consequences. Who will be burned by her very existence? And what will become of everything she holds dear?

Mercy’s life wasn’t easy before and things aren’t getting easier now.

I need to say up front that I did enjoy Waiting for Mercy. But I have a feeling that this review is going to come off more negative than I intend, so I wanted to get that out up front.

As mentioned in my review of Beg for Mercy, Mercy finds herself in the middle of a love-pentagon instead of a love-triangle. There's Luke who she loves, but being with him will supposedly condemn him. There's Flynn who claims to care about Mercy a lot, and we see instances where it's clear that he does. But just as often he appears apathetic and spiteful as any other positive emotion he might feel towards her. There's Paul who she had a crush on a couple of years ago. They became best friends of sorts, and because of her relationship with Luke, Mercy realizes that she loves Paul like a brother more than anything else. And then there's Sebastian who she claims to have a "connection" with.

I struggle with this. On the one hand, I get being a flirt. I get having feelings for two different people and struggling with to do with that. But I really struggle with a girl having four guys that she bounces back and forth between. And if it's so obvious to her who she loves, then why is it so difficult for her to be around these other guys without finding herself in compromising situations? I don't handle cheating well in any circumstance and I don't want to read books, watch movies, or even hear about cheating. And granted I'm not sure I can say 100% that Mercy did cheat on Luke, but she certainly doesn't close herself off to the advances of other guys. And I've only mentioned the main 4 competing guys. As with book 1, Beg for Mercy, there are other guys who compete for Mercy's attention making brief appearances here and there. The only way I ended up making it through was chalking up her behavior to being influenced by her succubus. Granted more so in Waiting for Mercy than Beg for Mercy, but it's fairly obvious when Mercy's overtaken by her succubus. So how does she explain all of these other times when she was the one in control? She can't. All she can say is that she has a "connection" with all four of these boys. And I find that to be borderline bull.

Shannon Dermott does a good job conveying Mercy's frustration about being kept in the dark to the reader, because I'm just as fed up as Mercy is about not having a clue what's going on. It truly does appear that every other character (just about) knows what's up except Mercy, and if that be true, then surely somethings could be disclosed that wouldn't make everything turn to pot--not any more than it already has.

Our minor characters were allowed more development in Waiting for Mercy and interesting things appear to lie ahead for some of these characters, specifically Maggie. And there's an event at the very end that I need to know what happens next. So I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next book. But one thing's for certain, Mercy's got to make some decisions when it comes to these guys and stick to them.

Aside from that, my last complaint is the sheer amount of errors in this book. I always hesitate to call out errors because I know I have typos, misspellings, and incorrect grammar on my blog and most certainly would need some major editing if I ever tried to write a book. But come on! Beg for Mercy was the same way. Missing words, incorrect words, sentences that don't make sense. Hire a new editor! Seriously. One or two can be overlooked, but this book was FILLED with them.

Overall, I'd give Waiting for Mercy 4 stars. Have you read it? What did you think? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Typos do bother me in a book as well. I think self--publishing is a wonderful idea but unfortunately proofreading is usually an extra that authors can't pay for. It can really detract from an excellent story.

    (I have entered the Lunar Love Giveaway Hop)
    cc_clubbs[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this book, but have a sneaking feeling I would have similar issues with it. The vacillating between attractions and relationships - unless the character is a siren and that is their nature LOL is not fun for me and quite often annoying. Makes me want to smack the character and say get it together here. However, that said, I do like the premise of this series and will keep an open mind. Thanks for sharing.
    (I entered the Lunar Love Giveaway Hop)
    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete