Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Top 10 Books I Thought I Would Like More/Less

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Books I Thought I Would Like More/Less.

The Ones I Expected More From:

1. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher - I loved the book cover. And even the premise of the prison being alive. But this book fell WAY flat for me.

2. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater- I'm a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan. And I believe I've read all of her published works. However, The Raven Boys was probably my least favorite out of all of her books. It has potential as a series to get better, and I plan to continue reading the series because I still love Maggie Stiefvater, but this one just definitely fell short.

3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - Dude, everyone made such a huge deal out of this book. And while it wasn't BAD by any means, it just wasn't as big of a deal to me as to everyone else.

4. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich - I've come to expect my Stephanie Plum books to be hilarious. And I guess it's hard to consistently write material that makes people laugh out loud. And after 19 books in a series, perhaps the funny has run dry. But either way, I expected more.

The Ones that Pleasantly Surprised Me:

5. Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - I won this in a giveaway, but truth be told, I just didn't expect much of anything out of it. Perhaps I liked it as much as I did because I wasn't expecting much.

6. Back to You by Priscilla Glenn - I almost turned this book down when the author contacted me about reading and reviewing it. But I chose to take a chance and I couldn't put it down.

7. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay - I requested this one from NetGalley but just had this uneasy feeling like I might be requesting one that I'm not going to get into. I think it was the cover that I didn't really love.

8. The Host by Stephenie Meyer - Well I wasn't a vampire fan when I read Twilight, and I wasn't a sci-fi fan when I read The Host. I expected to not enjoy The Host because aliens just aren't really my thing, but this turned out much better than I thought. It had a slow start and I didn't think the romance was near the level of Twilight, but I still enjoyed it. (Haven't reviewed this one. Link goes to Goodreads.)

9. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - Everyone reviewed this one and loved it. And while most every review I saw on it said that the reader went into it not really expecting much but ended up loving it, I still felt like the description didn't draw me in. I love love stories. Not best friend stories. But I did end up loving it.

10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - I wasn't expecting to dislike Jane Eyre. I just wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. Jane is one of my favorite heroines and I think every teenage female should be forced to read this book.

That's it for the books that either exceeded my expectations or have let me down. What about you? What books did you like more/less than you expected? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment