Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA 2013 - Day 1 Part 2 - The Classics

Day 1 of Armchair BEA is introductions and a genre discussion of the classics. I've already posted my Introduction here. For more information on Armchair BEA, please click the link above.

About the Classics

So many directions this subject can go in.

I've always wanted to read more of the classics. The first classic I remember being exposed to is Jane Eyre. I was in the 5th or 6th grade, and my teacher read it to us. However, I didn't really remember much about it, so I re-read Jane Eyre this year. And LOVED IT!

My all-time favorite classic is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I'm not sure I could ever review P&P, but that's okay with me. I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time in the 7th grade. Since then I've read it probably 7 or 8 times--I've lost count. I've got it on audiobook as well so I can experience it whenever I want.

As an Austen fan, I've also read Persuasion, which I love as well. And Northanger Abbey. I've got Sense and Sensibilty, Emma, and Mansfield Park in my possession, but I haven't taken the opportunity to read them yet. I hope to read at least one other of these by the end of the year.

Of course there are other classics that I read during school, but I've made it a goal of mine to read 6 classics this year. So far I've read 2 (Pride and Prejudice re-read and Jane Eyre), but I've got 4 more to go. I was listening to A Tale of Two Cities on audiobook, but I kept getting distracted and truthfully don't really have a clue what's happened. I'm going to need to go back and start over. I guess I better get started.

Sometimes I struggle with the classics because of the language. Typically, I prefer books that I can blow through quickly, so when I read the classics, I find that I have to slow down in order to take everything in. This has hindered me from reading the classics in the past, but I knew I was missing so much by letting that keep me back.

So after all that rambling, I'd like to leave you with two pieces of advice. Read the classics--press on through the language to get to the story. And read Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, or Jane Eyre as your first choices.

Do you read many classics? Which is your favorite? Let me know!

18 comments:

  1. Northanger Abbey was not my favorite Austen, but it was still good. I think you'll really enjoy Jane Eyre! Thanks so much for the follow and for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably due to Dickens and Austen being so well known. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing so many Jane Austen fans on the blogs I've visited today! *high fives and fist bumps*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm seeing Jane Eyre mentioned on so many blogs today! Ah the Jane love! It's awesome. I need to re-read it. I re-read P and P just last year and a blast reviewing it. I talked about all the bits that stand out to my in all my re-reads. It was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a single Austen novel, I own 3 of them but I haven't read them. I have to prepare myself mentally before digging into romance based classics, because I'm never sure what I'm going to get. Jane Eyre was amazing though. It's great that you have a yearly goal, I had one last year and I failed...miserably. I should try to fit in at least one or two this year. I have some of my favorites listed on my classics post: http://inlibrisveritas.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/armchair-bea-day-1-classics/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candice @ The Grown-Up YAMay 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM

    I LOVE Jane Eyre! Such a good story. I read Pride and Prejudice recently and... I wasn't in love with it. I mean, I enjoyed it, it just wasn't my favorite. I'd love to read Persuasion though! I really don't read many classics, but I'm challenging myself this year to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you didn't love P&P. It might have something to do with the fact that it was my first real classic as to why I love it so much. But I can't help it. It gets me giddy every single time. Persuasion has a bit of a slow start, but the ending just picks up speed and barrels through the finish line. Good luck trying to get more classics read. As far as they go, Persuasion isn't as lengthy as some so that might be a good one to focus on. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely understand the need to prepare yourself mentally before starting a classic romance. I'm definitely a goal oriented person--I like to compete...with myself. Maybe you can squeeze in at least one of those Austen's before the end of the year. Good luck and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep...I wasn't sure I was going to love Jane Eyre, but I ended up loving it--and Jane specifically more than anything else. I definitely plan to push through A Tale of Two Cities, but it's good to know that it gets better in the end. That's how most of the classics end up being for me--perhaps a slow start and middle, but ultimately worth it in the end. Thanks for stopping by and encouraging me to press on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes...it's the language I tell you! AND there's a lot of information that seems unnecessary, but I guess really is. Thanks for stopping by and nice to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane Eyre is a classic for a reason. I'm glad you reviewed Pride and Prejudice. I don't normally shy away from reviewing books, even the classics or ones that have been reviewed thousands of times, but something about reviewing P&P scares the pants off of me! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen. I love finding fellow Austen fans. *high fives back*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course! Yeah I preferred Emma , that's my favorite Austen but I have yet to read Persuasion & sense & sensibility :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read Emma yet...soon I hope though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read Northanger Abbey late last year. I loved it! I'm reading Jane Eyre now ..
    I just followed you :)
    Here is my ABEA classics post. http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.com/2013/05/armchair-bea-classics-dust-off-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emma @ Words And PeaceNovember 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM

    I am really amazed at how many people mention Dickens [whom i love] and Austen [whom I hate!!] in today's post. I enjoy a lot East of Eden. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dickens has always been difficult for me. I've read A Christmas Carol, but don't think I've ever gotten through any others. Good luck! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay a Jane Eyre fan! It makes me so happy because I love that book so much! I hope this will help, but I remember the first time I read A Tale of Two Cities, it was really slow going and I had to return it to the library. A few months later I found out it was required reading for my class, so then I pushed through it and ADORED it! It definitely pays off in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete